Construction work started in May 2019.
We expect that building a wind farm of this size will take around 20 to 24 months.
Access for construction traffic will be from the Hume Highway via Lerida Road South, which was upgraded as the first task.
No construction traffic will be allowed to access the project from the Collector-Gunning Road.
Project working hours are the standard NSW construction hours, between:
7am and 6pm Monday to Friday
8am and 1pm on Saturday
Any work proposed outside these hours will require separate assessment and approval from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
The key stages of work required to complete the construction project are summarised in the sequence below.
Indicative Construction Timeline
There are a number of conditions in the development approval that needed to be finalised before construction could start on site. Some required additional review and approval from the NSW Department of Planning & Environment.
These conditions are detailed here, with the relevant documentation uploaded.
Conditions of Approval
- Condition A5 - Confirmation of wind turbine order (PDF 56KB)
- Condition A7 - Decommissioning provisions (PDF 150KB)
- Condition A8D - Notification of construction commencement (PDF 150KB)
- Condition A8B - Micrositing report (PDF 10MB)
- Condition A8C - Final layout plans (PDF 2.2MB)
- Condition A8C - Turbine co-ordinates (PDF 132KB)
- Condition B6 - Bird and Bat Adaptive Management Plan (PDF 1.6MB)
- Condition B12 - Aviation Consultation(PDF 1.4MB)
- Condition B13 - Aviation information (PDF 6.5MB)
- Condition B15 - Radio Communications(PDF 9MB)
- Condition B18 - Bushfire Risk Management Plan(PDF 900KB)
- Condition B26 - Nightlighting consultation(PDF 871KB)
- Condition B27 - Design and Landscape Plan(PDF 2MB)
- Condition B33 - Crown land consultation(PDF 123KB)
- Condition B35 - Mineral resources consultation(PDF 120KB)
- Condition C2 - Community Enhancement Program (PDF 798KB)
- Condition C4 - Community Information Plan (PDF 449KB)
- Condition C5 - Enquiry and complaints handling procedure (PDF 312KB)
- Condition C7 - Pre-construction compliance report (PDF 577KB)
- Condition D24 - Construction Environmental Management Plan (PDF 6MB)
- Condition D25A - Construction Compound and Ancillary Facilities Management Plan (PDF 660KB)
- Condition D25B - Construction Noise and Vibration Management Plan (PDF 620KB)
- Condition D25C - Construction Traffic and Access Management Plan (PDF 13MB)
- Condition D25D - Construction Soil and Water Quality Management Plan (PDF 10MB)
- Condition D25E - Cultural Heritage Management Plan (PDF 1.3MB)
- Condition D25F - Construction Flora and Fauna Management Plan (PDF 9.8MB)
- Condition F2 - Decommissioning Plan (PDF 1MB)
- Environment Protection Licence (PDF 4.4MB)
The upgrade to the first 2km of Lerida Road South between the Hume Highway and the wind farm site was completed on schedule in July 2019.
Now that Upper Lachlan Shire Council has signed off on the work, this means all construction traffic can access the site and work to build the wind farm can proceed.
The first stage is to build a road to the substation location at the northern end of the wind farm where the transmission lines cross the site. This will enable Transgrid to start building the substation which will be needed to export clean electricity from the turbines into the network.
Once this is completed, activity will spread across the site to:
build access roads connecting up the turbine locations
excavate and lay turbine foundations and build crane hardstands
dig trenches for electrical cabling
Work will continue to improve the remaining 4km of Lerida Road South as required under our development approval. This is expected to be completed in November.
Lerida Road South will remain open throughout the upgrade, with traffic management measures in place to safely minimise the impact on road users. We thank road users for their patience during this work.
We expect turbine component deliveries to start in the first half of 2020. Specialist hauliers will be engaged to deliver components, operating under specific permits from Roads and Maritime Services.